How does it work?
Myofascia (a.k.a connective tissue) surrounds and pervades the muscles, nerves and bones of the entire body. Its purpose is to support, anchor and connect various parts of the body. When it becomes tight, hard and short through overuse, incorrect use, or inactivity, the body’s range of motion can be affected, blood flow can be reduced, nerve impulses can be impeded and pain can result. By combining physical manipulation with range of motion exercises we can deeply stretch the myofascia. This stretching causes the myofascia to become relaxed, lengthened and loose. By returning the myofascia to its normal state, symptoms associated with its dysfunction tend to disappear.
What does a session look like?
A session at Myofascial Health begins with a brief intake/review used to gather information about the client’s affected body part. Following the intake, the client is then given brief instruction on the range of motion exercises they will perform during the session. The session then progresses to physical manipulation and dynamic two person stretching, designed to lengthen and loosen the connective tissue (myofascia) of the affected body part. The myofascial stretching process begins by having the client lay face up (fully clothed) on a clean (sanitary) gym mat. The therapist then places their foot (while wearing clean fresh socks) on various points of the clients body. Pressure is then applied and regulated to the clients comfort threshold – never beyond. Once pressure is applied the client is then instructed to move in specific ways design to elicit a deep stretch. This movement, combined with the pressure and warmth of the therapists foot, loosens the myofascia. This method is then repeated with different foot placements and range of motion exercises until the session is ended. At the end of the session the therapist checks in with the the client and evaluates the client’s experience of the session.
Why do you use your feet?
At Myofascial Health we focus on helping people who have pain and repetitive motion / strain injuries. In order to keep our therapists from getting their own repetitive motion / strain injuries, we use our feet. The foot is an ideal tool for stretching myofascia. It can apply the ideal amount pressure with minimal effort, it warms the tissues that it comes into contact with, and the shape of the foot is perfect to work on certain parts of the body.
How do you ensure cleanliness?
We are committed to the highest standard of cleanliness. In order to ensure a clean sanitary environment for our clients, we clean our gym mats between client sessions and wear clean socks, changed fresh for each client.
What kinds of issues can you help with?
At Myofascial Health we work with with pain and mobility issues of the whole body, but specialize in working with issues of the fingers, hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders and neck. Some issues common to our clientele are: repetitive strain/motion injuries (carpal, cubital and radial tunnel syndromes), trigger finger, tennis elbow, shoulder pain / tension, tech neck, headaches and migraines, low back pain, sciatica, hip pain, tight quadriceps and hamstrings, knee pain, calf pain, ankle and foot pain and plantar fasciitis.
When should I seek help from Myofascial Health?
We recommend you schedule an appointment if you experience any of the following symptoms: pain, tightness, dull aching, stiffness, impaired range of motion, tingling, or numbness. Also, we strongly believe in preventative. So, if you want to keep the pain away and your body in top notch shape, come see us and stop the pain before it even starts!
How frequently should I get sessions done?
Session frequency depends on the severity of your condition. For mild conditions we recommend 1 session per week for four weeks followed by a once per month visit for maintenance. More severe conditions typically require more sessions in a greater density. We schedule according to the needs of the client.
What kind of results can I expect and how long do they last?
Our clients typically experience excellent results, usually after only a few sessions, even after just one. However, there are factors that affect results from person to person. These typically include: the severity of the issue, how many sessions they have, how frequently they get sessions, age, general health and if they continue to engage in actions that are harmful to their own myofascial health. The duration of results can be anywhere from weeks to months and even years, depending on circumstances.
What if I don’t feel positive change after my first session?
It is rare that our clients don’t experience positive results after their first session. However, if you didn’t experience positive results there may be several contributing factors, including: consumption of substances and prescription drugs that interfere with the bodies ability to feel physical sensation (usually pain blocking medication), not taking adequate weight during the myofascial stretching process, and not stretching deeply enough. Remember, our goal is help stretch your myofascia, but part of that depends on your ability to tolerate the discomfort associated with the stretch. Generally, when a client can tolerate a lot of discomfort and get a deep stretch, the better the results will be.
Do sessions hurt or cause pain?
Our goal is not to cause any pain to our clients whatsoever. However, deep myofascial stretching can at times be uncomfortable. Think of an extremely tight muscle, when stretching it, there may be some discomfort and even pain, but never harm. Clients that can tolerate greater discomfort generally have greater results, but the intensity of the stretch is always up to you. You will never have to experience a stretch that is too intense for you to handle, you will be in control.
Can I still do a session if I have had a cortisone injection?
Cortisone injections are are typically contraindicated when it comes to getting a session done. However, it is usually okay to get a session done after six months has elapsed since your injection. Be sure to inform your therapist of about any cortisone injections you have had, or plan to have.
Can I still do a session if I have had surgery?
Clients can usually receive myofascial stretching once they have recovered from surgery and are cleared for physical therapy. Be sure to inform your therapist of any surgeries you have had, or plan to have.
What are the contraindications to doing a session?
Due to the strenuous nature of myofascial stretching, we advise women who are pregnant to avoid getting sessions done until after pregnancy. People with the following conditions should also not receive sessions at Myofascial Health, as they are contraindicated: people with serious health conditions, people with broken bones, people with open sores or rashes, people who have undergone a recent surgery and haven’t been cleared for physical therapy, and people who have had steroid injections in the last 6 months. Please inform your therapist of any and all health conditions.
What is your cancellation and no-show policy?
- Clients that wish to cancel or change appointments at Myofascial Health must do so at least 24 hours before the time of their scheduled appointment. Cancellations made within 24-hours (less than 24 hour in advance) of their appointment will be considered a late cancellation.
- Clients that have a late cancellation will be charged a $25 dollar fee.
- Clients that have a late cancellation for an appointment purchased through a package have the option to pay the $20 dollar late fee and redeem their appointment for future use, or to not pay the late fee and forfeit their appointment for future use.
- Clients that have a late cancellation for an appointment purchased through Groupon forfeit their Groupon Voucher.
- Clients that schedule appointments via our Appointments page (http://myofascialhealth.com/appointments) can change or cancel their appointment using the“view appointment details” link in their appointment confirmation email. Additionally, if the client created an account with Myofascial Health, they can log into their account on the Appointments page and change or cancel their appointment that way.
- Client’s trying to make a late cancellation will not be permitted to do so via the Appointments page and will need to notify Myofascial Health Directly.
- If the client’s appointment confirmation email becomes lost or deleted, the client can call Myofascial Health to cancel their appointment, or have the confirmation email resent for rescheduling purposes.
- Clients attempting to change or cancel appointments made through the purchase of a package may do so in the same manner as a normally scheduled appointment (mentioned above).
- Clients that schedule a regular appointment (non-package appointment), do not cancel it, and do not show up to their appointment will be changed full price for their missed session.
- Clients that schedule a package appointment, do not cancel it, and do not show up to their appointment will have that appointment deducted from the total number of appointments purchased in there package.
What is your refund policy?
- Clients are eligible to receive a full refund for appointments so long as that appointment is cancelled at least 24 hours in advance.
- Clients have 30 days to seek a full refund for purchased appointment packages that have not been redeemed (used in any way).
- Appointment packages that have been partially redeemed are not eligible for a refund.